For FAQs on the BCMB and the beverage container recycling system, please click here.

For FAQs for depot owners, please click here.

  • What is considered a beverage?
 Legislation pertaining to the beverage container recycling industry in Alberta defines a ‘beverage’ as any liquid that is a ready-to-serve drink.  This includes, but is not limited to: 
  • Dairy – Fluid Milk, Creams, Whipping Creams, Buttermilk, Drinkable Yogurts, Eggnog, Meal replacements
  • Milk Substitutes – Soy Milk, Almond Milk, Rice Milk, etc.
  • Pop/Soda
  • Juice
  • Water
  • Energy Drinks
  • Health Supplement Drinks (liquid additives that contain vitamins, minerals, herbs, etc.)
  • Alcoholic Beverages
  • What products are exempt from the beverage container recycling system?
  • Concentrate beverages (in frozen or non-frozen format, which require one or more additives to make a fluid drink)
  • Single portion cream containers with a volume less than 30 ml
  • Industrial milk bladders with a volume of nine litres and greater
  • Pre-whipped whipping cream
  • Infant formula
  • Plastic and paper cups that are not sealed by a manufacturer 
  • Can beverages be sold in Alberta without being registered with the Beverage Container Management Board?
No. Manufacturers must register a container with the BCMB. In Alberta, individuals or businesses cannot sell or distribute any beverage in a container:
  • that cannot be reasonably identified as having contained the beverage manufactured by the manufacturer of that beverage
  • on which is written, stamped or in any way inscribed or to which is attached any label, cap or any other thing indicating that the container is not returnable or that no refund is payable with respect to the container
  • unless the manufacturer has received written notice from the BCMB that the container is registered.
  • Who has to register ready-to-serve beverages sold in Alberta?

Any manufacturer or organization that is responsible for bringing the physical beverage into the Province of Alberta.

  • What are non-deposit or "off-spec" containers?

Product which is never sold to a retailer or product which stale-dates (expires) may be excluded by the manufacturer in reported sales volumes. These non-deposit or "off-spec" containers are not eligible for entrance into the beverage contianer recycling system by way of a depot. They are not eligible for a deposit refund and depot operators are not eligible to receive a handling commission for them.

Manufacturers should contact the CSA (Alberta Beverage Container Recycling Corporation) for the appropriate recycling of non-deposit or "off-spec" containers. They should not be recycled through a depot. 

  • How do we register to sell products in Alberta?

The beverage container registation process can now be completed online. To create a registrant account or to manage an existing account, go to the BMCB Portal Login. Detailed instructions on how to create an account and register a container can be found in the Beverage Container Registration Portal User Guide.

  • How do we register alcoholic beverages?

The Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission (AGLC) handles all warehoused alcoholic product registrations in Alberta and reports all registrations to the Beverage Container Management Board.

For information on how to register alcoholic beverage containers, please contact the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission at 780-447-8833 or 1-800-272-8876, or visit their web site.